Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Who Cares If the Laundry Isn't Folded?!

Good evening, friends!

          Jason and I have finished the semester strong! We both finished with good grades and are so thankful that it's time to enjoy Christmas season and break! This means more time for me to write, also. Today, I was trying to teach my newbie self how to use this site, and had the chance to browse some blogs- I even learned how to follow other blogs! ;) I am the WORST at technology, so let's just consider that the accomplishment it is. If anyone who comes across this blog knows of any others I should read, please comment and let me know!

          This afternoon, I have been thinking about the challenge it is to try to make others understand the situation Jason and I are in. Ever since we moved in together last year, my life has been flipped up-side-down. Almost every aspect of my life has incorporated something new that has taken time to get used to. Through this process, we have found that most people living "normal" lives have a hard time understanding our life, and our daily processes. More than once, I have been asked, "What are you always so busy with?" or, "Why are you late?" These people are rarely asking to be rude, more just out of curiosity. However, I never know how to answer those questions. How do I explain in a short answer: I'm busy because I'm the only driver and we have 100 appointments a week, I'm late because I had to help someone put on their legs, take care of two dogs, make breakfast, and make sure my face is at least presentable. At first, it was so hard for me to get used to the responsibilities I have, and believe me, I still have my days! I would spend hours on the phone crying to my mom or friends, freaking out about always being so tired, asking how I could do a better job, and wondering why God had given me such a big job. I gained 25 pounds. Through it all, I prayed. Like every day, ALL day. I apologized a lot, especially to Jason, for losing my cool every now and then and for being an over-all emotional wreck. Most of all, I reminded myself that I COULD handle it, I WOULD get used to it, and things WOULD get better. 

          Sure enough, two dogs, a new state, and a school semester later, I only have mental breakdowns once a week... Just kidding, but really, I feel so much better and a system has somewhat been created in our lives. I spent SO long carrying the weight of others' expectations. Every time anyone came over and laundry was on the floor, I panicked and felt embarrassed. Every time we were 5 minutes late to an appointment, I explained myself. Every time anyone asked about Jason's legs, I went into panic mode. I had such a hard time giving myself mercy and grace that I couldn't imagine anyone else offering it. The key to keeping your cool in any stressful schedule or life situation, is giving yourself a break, and reminding yourself that you are doing your best! 

          I've finally realized that cooking, cleaning, driving, scheduling, running errands, exercising, and doing school is a lot for one person, and if I can't do all of those things every day (a lot of days) it's OKAY! When I was at Hanger Clinic Double-Amputee Bootcamp last summer, I had the honor of meeting the wife of an above-knee double amputee, who also had a young son. We didn't talk that much (we were both busy being caregivers), but she inspired me. I saw the exhausted look on her face, but I also saw how much she laughed at the little things. Wheelchair wouldn't fit through a door? She'd laugh. Son spilled his juice and wouldn't stop crying? She smiled and cleaned it up. I don't remember what I posted on Facebook awhile back, but I will never forget the essence of what she said. It was something like, "Just do your best, and if all (or any) of the laundry doesn't get folded, who cares!" 

          Just like that, my life changed. I have been laughing more, I've loved myself more, and I think Jason has enjoyed my company a lot more, too! Jason may always have a hard time with prosthetics because of his bone growth, and people never understand that, but we do, and we know he is doing his best. I may never have a sparkling house, but I will always have a full heart. I'm still working on getting back in shape, but I've lost 15 lbs! In the battles of life, we have to choose. Do we pick ourselves, or do we pick ourselves apart? 

Just keep swimming, and ENJOY your week!


Rachel Hallett



Honor Bowl, October 2013. After I had gained 25 lbs!

November 2014. Down 15 lbs, much more calm and happy!!



"...He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

2 comments: