Sunday, September 6, 2015

Expanding the Family

Our perfect view at the Samaritan's Purse Lodge
          Jason and I have had the most peaceful and blessed summer we could have ever dreamed of. A huge part of that has been because of all the people who have opened their hearts to us and introduced us to the goodness of humanity. We met an impressive number of these types of souls during our time in Alaska two weeks ago. 


          Over six months ago, I had applied to go on a trip of a lifetime with a branch of Samaritan's Purse, called Operation Heal Our Patriots. Operation Heal Our Patriots was founded by Brigadier General Jim Walker, who served for 33 years in the Marine Corps. He also served in the Pentagon as the senior military attorney. We were absolutely humbled to get to know him a fair bit, and to be all the way in Alaska because of his dedication to his country and fellow military. 

          A few months ago, we, along with nine other wounded warriors and their spouses received the treasured call that we had been chosen for the trip with Operation Heal Our Patriots. It was everything we had hoped, and so very much more. We spent a heavenly week in Port Alsworth, Alaska, which was one hour by plane away from any store! We got our own cozy cabin, and the Samaritan's Purse lodge we were in was on an idilic, secluded lake, complete with puddle-jumping airplanes and kayaks on the beach. 

He caught a salmon!
          I came into this adventure knowing that it was for wounded warrior couples, that we would get to do outdoors activities, and that it was meant to help build our marriage. Little did I know, we met nine other couples who we would grow to think of as family. We would see mama bears and their cubs snacking on salmon. We would fish and catch beautiful greyling and salmon. Our marriage would be given a new chance to thrive for eternity, instead of just survive for as long as possible. Most importantly, I was pleasantly surprised to find that we would leave closer to God that we had ever been. 

          While the fishing was fun (I caught my first fish), and even hilarious at times (like when Anette got splattered with salmon blood), and while bear-watching was the most breath-taking thing I've ever witnessed, I want to focus on what is most important. That is, the relationships we took away from our journey to Alaska. I have spent a long time feeling like I am not accepted by many military wives, because I was unfortunately not there during Jason's time being deployed and injured. Since I came in afterwards, a lot of people chose to think the worst of me, instead of giving me a chance to prove my intentions with the man I am now blessed to call my husband. I allowed those experiences to build up a wall. I planned on never letting anyone get to me again, so I was surprised when I found myself opening up to the ladies I met during our time with OHOP. 

My first fish- a slippery greyling!
          There were women from all sorts of backgrounds, with very different stories, yet, we all found common ground and we all found the strong similarities in our stories. Every one of us shared things that in some cases, we hadn't told anyone else. We all promised one another that it would stay in the circle.. The crazy thing is, I believe it! We promised to stay in touch and to be friends for a lifetime... The crazy thing is, I feel that we are family! Jason was able to connect with a lot of the husbands as well, and I had never seen him so himself for an entire week. For the first time, I felt that I was seen as who I really am as a veteran's wife. I was not judged for anything, but simply accepted as who I am trying to become.





          The two chaplains and their wives also did a fantastic job of engineering the program to ensure that we were all good to one another, and that we left with powerful tools to be better to our spouse. We wrote letters to our spouse, we left tough battles behind after burning them in the fire, we learned about one another's personalities, and we were equipped with God's word about what marriage ought to be, and what our roles are as Christian husbands and wives. We witnessed almost every couple get baptized, or recommit their marriage. Most chose to do both. 

          I guess my point is that there are good people out there, and we will forever be grateful to Operation Heal Our Patriots for showing us that. Their volunteers and staff were some of the kindest and selfless people we've ever met, and they treated us like royalty. They took the time to get to know each of us, and they prayed for our path. Their dear chef, Jean Claude, sadly passed away the next week after we left. We feel truly honored that we got to be part of his last mission here on earth, and we are testaments to the fact that he served the Lord with everything. We hope that you will take the time to find out what Operation Heal Our Patriots is all about, and if you are a couple who would be eligible for a trip, MAKE SURE YOU APPLY! You won't regret it!

          As always, God bless you. I would love to hear about everyone elses' summers as well!

Fishin' and flirtin' :)
          

No comments:

Post a Comment