Sunday, January 18, 2015

American Sniper

Happy Sunday!


         Last night, we went to go see American Sniper. As I'm sure you've been told at least a dozen times already, it was an incredible movie! I am thrilled to see movies such as American Sniper, Lone Surviver, Unbroken, Fury, etc. hitting the big screen and racking up such impressive ticket numbers. I felt an extra connection to American Sniper, as I devoured the entire book in just over a week! I spent hours over that time reading it during work outs mostly. Nothing will get you to enjoy 100 steps of stair steppers, miles of biking, or sweaty sauna stretching more than reading about an American hero! Jason also loved the movie; even more than the other recent war movies. He said he enjoyed seeing the family perspective, in addition to the military side of things. I'd like to think maybe that's because he can relate to that side now ;)

         Everyone warned me that I would be a mess the entire movie, and I was convinced they were right. Afterwards, a few people asked me what I thought of it. I was sure I'd be wrecked. On the contrary, although I absolutely recommend the film, I was not affected by it very much. I think that just shows how far I've come in this past year and a half with Jason, and how much war and recovery is part of my family life now. I was not effected by American Sniper, because I am affected by our heroes every day of the year. I feel like every moment of my life is filled with awe of these men and women who have put their lives on the line for our great country. My entire life has been shaped around the daily struggle and progress of my very own hero, and I cannot help but have monumental admiration for others who have been through similar things in war and after. 

          I was, however, affected by the reaction of everyone in the theater. Jason and I bought our tickets at least 6 hours early online so we could be sure to get good seats, then we showed up 40 minutes early. When we got to the theater, there was a line of AT LEAST 150 people waiting for various showing times. I was tense, because I have a hard time watching these movies, as so many of them hit too close to home. I also get nervous watching them because every one of those true war stories are holy ground to me, and I often find myself struggling if anyone around me is disrespectful toward Jason, or toward the memory of these heroes. 

           Sure enough, we got in this insanely long line, only to have a girl standing next to us look right at Jason, then say, "Actually, the line ends down there...." I had somehow not noticed the line wrapped around the room one more time. I'm not sure what gets into me in those moments, but I almost lost it on this clueless girl. I thought, "Do you not see this man in front of you? Someone who served and will continue to serve every day of his life for you? Do you realize that this movie you are about to see is about honoring these veterans??" Instead, I realized how little of that she would understand, so instead said sternly, "Yes, we will just go all the way back there, thank you." I have no idea what it is about that sort of ignorance that makes me lose my mind, but I think it is the fact that so many of the people standing in that line clearly thought American Sniper was just a movie you could walk into, and then go home from. For me, it's one of the stories that follows me home. Jason and I live every day of our lives with the reminder that freedom isn't free, and that true evil exists and is active. Every day, we remember those who never came home, and those who came home to their entire life being flipped up-side-down.  

          I know that I need to get over that type of thinking, because most of the time those people are truly naive, and have no idea how their words may be portrayed. I also know that Jason never expects special treatment, but I feel that he and his comrades deserve it. I've been trying to make it a point lately to be gracious, and more respectful to such individuals than they often are to us. In those moments when someone says something I find disrespectful, I have to remember all the people who have been so good to us. Those are the people worth focusing on, and those are the people who make us keep pushing to be the best we can be, as a couple, and as individuals. Taya Kyle wrote a profound thing at the end of the American Sniper book that I will never forget. She mentioned the advice that she took from the film's screenwriter, Jason Hall: "You don't want to become an old, bitter woman-- we've all seen them, the women whose faces are tight and who look at life with bitter, san eyes." So, in that moment standing in line, facing the girl who's words I found so rude, I remembered that, and I chose to change my mindset. Instead, I thought of the kind things hundreds have said to us, and then I looked around us. 

          Every show of American Sniper that night was sold out long before it even began. Thousands of people just in our little city came to be part of Chris Kyle's legacy. To me, that shows tremendous respect; not only for the heroic Navy SEAL that he was, but for other military members who have fought such battles. During the entire viewing of American Sniper, the entire crowd was completely engaged. Everyone caught every joke, everyone's faces reflected the tragic events they were watching. In my entire life, I've never seen such a dramatic reaction at the end of a movie. EVERYONE in the sold-out theater was silent; it was like walking out of a funeral. Everyone seemed to feel the power of Chris Kyle's story, and life. After opening my eyes to try to find the good in the things around me, I decided to view the packed seats as part of America's small way of saying "Thank You" to Chris Kyle, to my husband, and to the thousands of other courageous warriors among us and before us. American Sniper; The Legend, the book, the movie, and the theater experience will forever be a treasure that I cherish. 

 -Rachel Hallett

Celebrating our 6 months of being married
to the man who always finds the best version of me.

Never been so motivated during my workouts!
American Sniper got me pumped during cardio and sauna time.

         

5 comments:

  1. Really well written post. I appreciate and love your words of honesty, bringing us to a place to think about our lives, actions and how we impact others each and every day. Your voice is HOPE to those around you - never stop writing and sharing your heart! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, so glad to be surrounded by people such as yourself who keep us going!

      Delete
  2. Someone linked to this on Facebook, so I read it. Very well written. Kudos to you for what you have said and for being so supportive of your own hero. Thanks to him for his service. We need more movies honoring our military.... we need to honor them more, period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, I appreciate every visitor and hope that me and Jason's story brings hope to people. Especially military! Thank you for supporting our heroes! God bless.

      Delete