Sunday, August 17, 2014

Steps of Courage

Hello my new blog friends!

I can’t believe it; here it is, FINALLY time to write my first entry!

This blog is a giant step of courage for me, and I have to admit that I fidget a little bit, even as I type these first few words. I have been pondering the idea of starting up a blog for over a year now, even so much as making a whole one post on a previous blog last summer. Yet, something in me was blocking me from making the big step of actually giving the idea life. Something caused me to delete my old entry, deactivate my initial attempt at blogging, and stuff the urge to write deep down inside.

            Even after a year of this feeling barricading me from what I wanted to do, I still have yet to pinpoint exactly what it is.  So, the best I can do is guess. My pressing guess is that all along, it has been fear causing me to tie my own hands behind my back. Fear that others will not understand my situation, that others will not care to read my story, that they will misunderstand what I write. Fear of failure. Fear of judgment. Fear of rejection.

            I know I should probably be writing about something more significant for my first blog entry- such as my husband and my self’s wedding three weeks ago, our trip to Vail over this past weekend, college starting again next week, an update about my husband’s journey with mobility, or the fact that I am attempting to build up the nerve to begin juicing. However, Wings and Warriors will forever be about exactly what is on my heart. I do my best to live my life honestly, thoughtfully, and intentionally, so I cannot see my blog working any other way than to reflect that. So, what better place to start this openness than in this very first post?

            Back to the subject of fear. Specifically, fear of the opinion of others. As you’ve gathered, I am guilty of letting this feeling eat me up inside. On good days, I often only care about making sure others can tell that I’ve showered and dressed myself decently. On bad days, fear of what others think can ruin my whole day. Starting in the morning when I accidentally order my Starbucks wrong and then slink out of the cafe forcing an unpleasant coffee down my throat, and ending at night when I lay in bed wondering if I do enough for my friends and family.

            Obviously, writing this blog is not myself saying that I’ve accomplished the problem mentioned, but it is me choosing to tackle it head-on. As much as possible, I’m going to write an entry about my day, my thoughts, my life and put it out there for the whole internet world to see. That is terrifying! But more than that, it is extremely liberating!

            Imagine if we could all take one little step a day to overcome our insecurity and forget our worry about what those around us may think. I bet if each of us committed to choosing confidence instead of fear, just once a day when the chance comes up, after a while, our worlds would be such more pleasant places to live. I believe that with enough of those tiny steps towards bravery added up, we might even be able to get enough courage to kindly ask the barista to redo our coffee, exit Starbucks with our heads high, and return with our shoulders back the next morning!

            I’m kidding of course, because I am positive that one decision a day to choose to build ourselves up instead of second-guess ourselves would do far more than that—it would give us the ability to chase down our demons, conquer our mountains, and find peace within our souls.

            We all have something to offer the world that no one else can. Our value is infinite and none of us were placed on this spinning planet by accident. This also means that we were each created to have unique passions, thoughts, and ideas. One person may feel a rush when they hike to the top of a peak, whereas another may feel a sense of purpose when they create a new app.  Where would the world be if both of these people did not step confidently into their destinies? Either the world would be a cubicle overrun by computers and numbers, or it would be the opposite, and we would be struggling to make technological advances. Listen to the stirring in your heart, and take a step of confidence in knowing the value of what you, uniquely you, have to offer.

            God bless you, friends!

- Rachel Hallett-


“For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.”

2 Timothy 1:7 NIV

Red Sky Ranch and Golf Club, Vail CO

No comments:

Post a Comment